Wednesday, 22 January 2014

PCC Article from Januarys Manchat


I try my best to meet as many police officers and staff, of all ranks, as often as possible. I want to know how people on the frontline feel and I want officers and staff to have the confidence that they can raise any issue with me. 

With that in mind, I’m happy to answer these kinds of questions in Manchat, but I would rather have the conversation directly with you. I understand why people ask questions anonymously in a public forum like this, but I also want you to be able to raise issues with me privately. 

To that end, I have created a new email address where you can contact me in confidence.

You can get in touch at confidential.feedback@gmpcc.org.uk

Use this address to raise any issue or problem, to give me feedback or ideas about how we can build safer communities in Greater Manchester. I’ll stress again, that anything I receive through this email address will be treated confidentially.

I look forward to hearing from you.



1)            Police Pensions - Fire Brigade able to go on strike and negotiate a better deal. This is close to my heart as I understand that most of the people in a position to help us are in the old Pension scheme and won’t have the same level of interest.  How will you lobby the government to insure that we are not left out to dry as we are unable to strike?

Police officer terms and conditions have to be fairly negotiated, which requires legitimate lobbying via the Police Federation, supported by those who have an interest in policing. I recognise that police morale is important and that this is affected by pensions. I’m happy to play my part but police officers can also lobby their local MPs on this issue.

 

2)            Direct entrant at SLT level - how is this likely to work and how will it affect those in the promotion ladder at present?

I would need to be strongly persuaded that direct entry would be in the interests of the communities of Greater Manchester and would add benefit to GMP. I’m not convinced at all that there is merit in this scheme. One of the great benefits of policing in Britain is that every single senior police officer has started as a constable and worked their way up. Peter Fahy can look every officer in the eye and say he has walked in their shoes. We change that system at our peril and I have no plans to introduce direct entry. 

 

3)            Do you think introducing compulsory redundancy for police officers is fair bearing in mind police have no recourse to full industrial rights that other employees enjoy`.

In Greater Manchester we have no plans for compulsory redundancy. We do all however have to recognise that the cost pressures being put on our budget by the government are ridiculous. None of us can know what will happen in the future as there is no sign at present that spending cuts are coming to an end, a further £3bn of public sector cuts were announced this week. Central government has got to recognise the choices they are making on behalf of me and the Chief Constable. That’s why I will continue to lobby Government on your and the people of Greater Manchester’s behalf to change course.

4)            One issue that is currently playing on my mind is the occasional process whereby officers are bumped up a rank, usually on temporary promotion, for their last 12 months of service. Clearly, this is of little benefit to the public, as their role becomes vacant 12 months after they start and someone else has to fill it and start over, but of more significance is the impact on the pension. The officer subsequently gains an enhanced pension for the remainder of their lives for 12 months work, at public expense. This is of particular relevance where that temporary promotion is from Sgt to Insp or C/I to Supt. I would welcome the PCCs views on such practice in the current times of value for money?

I’ve raised this issue with GMP and the Federation and the Federation is satisfied this practice is not happening. Promotion should always be based on merit, and if anyone believes they know of an instance where this has not happened, I would urge them to contact me in confidence so that it can be looked into.

 

5)            I’m not naive, and understand that there will be minimal recruitment of new officers in the future which will not come close to replacing officers we have lost through retirement, resignation etc. Therefore, we must look at ways of reducing the demand placed on the police service by the public and our partner agencies. What plans/ strategies does the P.C.C. have in order to reduce the demand on police officers?

Budgets are being cut across the public sector it’s vital that agencies pool resources and work together to make our communities safer. Many agencies are dealing with the same families and the same issues so it’s common sense and is something I’ve been driving forward.

One thing I was shocked by when I became Police and Crime Commissioner was the sheer scale of demand mental health issues have on policing. Too often police officers are being called on to detain people suffering mental health problems, but you are not health workers and a police cell is not the place for someone suffering a mental health crisis. That’s why I recently brought together local authorities, police and health service leaders to discuss the issue with the commitment to create a hub which brings together police, NHS staff, local authorities and other agencies.

A pilot scheme was launched in Oldham in December that gives police officers access to a mobile number which they can call when responding to an incident. They will be able to speak to someone at the local hospital who will be able to tell the officer if the individual they are dealing with is known to the NHS, and come to a joint decision about the best course of action to deal with the individual. This means that the right type of intervention can be made much earlier. I’m optimistic this scheme will actually be a really practical way of starting to reduce demand on officers.

6)            I am 47 years old with a young family. How is the PCC planning for an aging Police Force with all the obvious problems this will bring?

We’ve lost hundreds of officers from the streets of Greater Manchester because of the irresponsible cuts to our budget. This makes the job of setting the budget much more challenging, and protecting neighbourhood policing is at its core. I’ve committed to recruiting 50 new police officers, along with additional police staff so officers can spend less time behind a desk and more time on the frontline, policing our communities. I’m also working with the Chief Constable and partner agencies to look at how we can reduce demand on policing services. I’ve touched on mental health in the above answer, and we’re also looking at more co-location of services, to encourage better information sharing so we’re not replicating work.

7)            Due to the reduction in Policing across our force - officers are being put at increasing risk while waiting for prisoner transport as often there are long delays often reaching over an hour for suitable prisoner transport to be allocated.

If the prisoner is a drink drive offender, vital evidence is lost.  Due to the lengthy delay and also often due to not being conveyed to the nearest Custody Suite.

What can you do as a PCC to ensure officer’s safety is not compromised and to prevent these unnecessary delays?  There are obviously not enough divisional officers to assist.

The impact on Policing is massive as if a patrol in a van from the P Division, may have to convey to either Bury, Chadderton or Ashton.  This then impacts on the P Div resources, if they are then assisting with transportation for officers on the Specialist Departments, ie Traffic.

I would need to see some evidence that delays are increasing as this is an issue which has always been a bone of contention. But we need to get these kinds of logistical issues right. I can understand the frustration for frontline officers when there are delays in getting prisoners transported – it frustrates me as well. This is already on my agenda and we will shortly review how prisoner transportation is carried out as I’m sure there are more intelligent and effective ways of getting someone who’s been arrested from the street and into a cell.

 

8)            With the introductions of INPT’s and the amalgamation of CID with neighbourhoods it feels like the role of the detective is not appreciated by the force.  We have been put into cupboard holes and do not have adequate space to work and fulfil our role.  Can the PCC come out and visit stations and see what we have to put up with and then do something about it?  If he can start his visit at Pendleton it will be appreciated.

The changes to neighbourhood policing teams to include CID officers is not to undermine the role of detectives, it’s precisely the opposite. Having specialist officers based locally, investigating local crimes is for the benefit of local communities and means officers, with knowledge of that area can respond to and investigate incidents more effectively. I do regularly go around Greater Manchester visiting police stations, officers and staff. I will get in touch with Mary Doyle and arrange a visit to Pendleton soon. If anyone has concerns about their working environment, please email me in confidence on confidential.feedback@gmpcc.org.uk

 

9)            There are rumours flying around about the closure of some custody offices.  I can understand the need to save money but has any real thought been put into this decision.  Currently prisoners are sent all over the force and this causes problems with transporting and the queuing at the station.  This means an officer is off his/her patch for a lengthy period of time whilst this process is being done.  Surely if we close more sites this will become more of a problem?

The number of custody sites is being looked at to make sure the best use of available resources is being made. There are no immediate plans to close any custody offices, but it’s an issue that does need to be kept under review. What I will want to be satisfied on is that any changes to custody provision will be looked in the context of the overall pressures, which links back, for example, to the earlier answer about prisoner transport. There’s no point in saving money in custody offices if it creates an additional and unsustainable burden elsewhere in the service. Rumours may be flying around, but there currently aren’t any proposals on the table and, even if that does happen at some point in the future, no decision would be taken without consideration of the wider issues and genuine consultation with those potentially affected.

 

10)          How can the PCC allow the chief constable to employ civilian child protection investigators who have no previous investigative experience, without any proper training to carry out a role that is complex and skilled to the detriment of the people of greater Manchester?

Historically, police officers have been doing jobs that police staff can do, which means officers aren’t out on the street policing communities, and we need to reverse that trend. These positions are about managing convicted sex offenders, not investigating sexual offences. This seems like a pragmatic proposal as a warranted officer is not required for the bulk of the work.

But, I do recognise that there are concerns about this change to the unit and both the Chief Constable and I are keen to ensure that these concerns are listened to. I want reassurance from the Chief Constable that the changes will not risk public safety. The changes are being carefully monitored and will only be brought in permanently if they are successful. The police staff moving into the unit have been fully trained and will be accompanied by a police officer when visiting offenders, in case an arrest needs to be made.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment